Buying a forklift is easily one of the best investments a business can make, especially if you work in a warehouse or in construction. Before you simply go out and buy the first forklift that catches your eye, there are a few important factors to keep in mind. Forklifts are one of – if not the – most important pieces of equipment in many commercial settings. As we mentioned at the start, they are also a major investment for any company, which is why the decision to buy a forklift should not be made lightly. There are a wide range of different brands and types of forklifts on the market today, making it difficult to know which is best for your specific needs. From pneumatic to cushion tire forklifts to the benefits of electric forklifts, a lot more goes into this decision than many people realize.
Probably the first thing that pops into people’s minds when thinking about buying a forklift is price. As you will quickly see, there is a pretty substantial price range for forklifts, which can be overwhelming if this is your first investment of this nature. When looking at price, there are a handful of important considerations, such as whether the forklift is new or used and how often you plan on using it. Forklifts are a major investment, but also one that can be quite beneficial to your business, as they can increase production to benefit your bottom line. Take your time when shopping for a forklift and make sure you end up with one that is both within your budget and capable of taking on the work you need it to. With this in mind, let’s look at five important considerations before buying a forklift:
- How much do you plan on using it? One of the first things to ask yourself before you a buy a forklift is how much you are going to be using it. If it is something you plan on using every single day for several hours, you may want to consider increasing your budget or buying new. If you will only be using it lightly from time to time, purchasing used is a great option.
- What type of forklift do you need? As mentioned above, there are many different types of forklifts available, which is why it is important to do your research and test out a bunch of different ones. From electric to gas-powered and three-wheel or four-wheeled vehicles, the type of forklift that is best for your needs is something to keep in mind.
- Have you had someone inspect it? If you aren’t a mechanic yourself, we recommend you have a professional mechanic look over the machine before you move forward. Think of it along the same lines as purchasing a used car – you always want to have someone inspect it before you walk off the lot.
- Have you done a safety check? This is especially important if you are buying used, but should be in the back of your mind with any forklift purchase. There are many different safety considerations, from the forklift’s actual components to how it is operated. Before you finalize any purchase, make sure you have done a safety check and know how to operate the specific vehicle.
- Is there a warranty option? Many forklift dealers offer warranty options, which is definitely something to consider. In most cases, if you are purchasing a forklift from a reputable dealer, he will be able to give you a warranty. If he does not offer this, you may want to reconsider.
If you have any additional questions about buying a forklift in Arlington, please do not hesitate to contact Ace Equipment today. We are here to help you in any way we can, whether you are buying or renting a forklift, or need your current piece of equipment repaired.