There are numerous products and accessories on the market today designed to help improve warehouse productivity and ensure you are getting the most out of your forklift. Over the last several weeks we have discussed how you can prevent forklift accidents and we also provided you with an everyday forklift inspection checklist. It is our intention to set you and your team up for success, especially when it comes to operating a forklift and getting the job done. Unfortunately, forklift accidents happen and can result in serious injuries – and even death. This is why safety is so important. Even though we will not be able to prevent every single forklift accident from taking place, there are things we can do in order to lessen the chance of these types of incidents – one of which is to have forklift safety accessories on hand.
Forklift safety accessories can be quite effective in preventing accidents from occurring and keeping workers safe in general. However, it is important to keep in mind that the accessories we will go over below do not replace the use of human spotters, horns, area restricted signs, etc. These accessories should simply serve as an extra form of protection and safety net, if you will. It is also important to keep in mind that safety accessories are only as effective as the person using them, so it is imperative your employees receive adequate training and are prepared to operate a forklift and work in the warehouse environment. With all that in mind, let’s now take a look at some of the top forklift safety accessories and how they may be of use in your workplace:
- Safety Vests – This type of safety accessory is one of the most effective out there, especially if you are working on a highway or at night. The neon orange and yellow vests are designed to be seen from miles away, making workers visible in a wide range of settings.
- Strobe Lights – When used in a warehouse or nighttime environment, strobe lights can be a great asset that can increase productivity and keep workers safe. Strobe lights let other workers and the general public know that large equipment is in use, which will in turn encourage them to proceed with caution.
- Seat Caddy – Depending on what environment you are using a forklift, a seat caddy may go a long way in protecting other tools and preventing the operator from getting distracted. Seat caddies can hold water, phones, tools, and a wide range of other small items, keeping them out of the operator’s hands or lap so he can focus on the task at hand.
- Backup Alarms – Backup alarms should always be used, especially in a warehouse setting. They are extremely effective in warning people that the forklift is moving and they need to get out of the way, which can help prevent unnecessary accidents.
- LED Road Flares – If you are working on a highway or other construction site outdoors, LED road flares are a must. They are easy to use (all you do is push a button and it lights up) and can be placed on a forklift to be used as an immediate warning system. If the operator notices something amiss or a potential danger, he can easily press the button and others will be warned.
We hope these forklift safety accessories will help you work more efficiently and keep you and your workers safe. For more information on forklifts in Irving, please do not hesitate to contact Ace Equipment today.